Sant Joan de Déu Hospital
Esplugues de Llobregat
16th November - 18th November 2017
Synaptic metabolism and brain circuitries in IEM, Barcelona, 16 – 18 November 2017
The scientific organizing committee of the course involves:
• Angeles Garcia-Cazorla, Barcelona
• Thomas Opladen, Heidelberg
• Alex Bayès, Barcelona
• Xavier Altafaj, Barcelona
The target audience of this course involves metabolic physicians, paediatricians, neurologists and paediatric neurologists as well as laboratory neuroscientists, biochemical geneticists, biochemists and laboratory geneticists. Participants are expected to have prior knowledge about the field, practical experience with diagnosis treatment, and/or basic research is recommended.
The learning objectives include:
• To learn the basis of neuronal communication in IEM and to understand that this is not restricted to the synthesis, catabolism and transport of the “classic neurotransmitters”.
• To introduce new categories of neurometabolic diseases based on the description of biochemical pathways, trafficking and signalling functions at the synapse, and to recognize the main clinical manifestations.
• To learn how neurometabolic diseases affect the brain as a whole system through the study of neuronal connectivity.
• Insight into new therapeutic strategies such as neuromodulation in IEM.
Participants will be able to attend various workshops, a lab tour and meet with patients and their families.
Participants will also have the opportunity to present and discuss case presentations.
The full course details and and online registration can be accessed on our website: www.rrd-foundation.org.
Deadline for registering is 20th September.